A VOICE FOR SOCIAL ENTERPRISE IN QUEENSLAND
EMPOWERING SOCIAL ENTERPRISE IN QUEENSLAND
CONNECTING SOCIAL ENTERPRISE IN QUEENSLAND
A vibrant, innovative and capable social enterprise sector in QLD that is sufficiently resourced and supported to achieve high social, cultural and environmental impact. DOWNLOAD the QSEC Strategic plan_FINAL
QSEC is an incorporated Association and represents ordinary and associate members. It has a democratically elected management committee.
Meet our wonderful 2020 Management Committee members.
What is a social enterprise?
A social enterprise is a business that:
- has social mission embedded in the DNA of the business to directly address social, cultural and environmental needs; rather than indirectly through socially responsible business practices such as corporate philanthropy, equitable wages and environmentally friendly operations.
- is an enterprise deriving a majority of their revenue through trade of socially and environmentally sustainable products and/or services; rather than through grants, donations or gifts.
- invests the majority of expenditure and/or profit to fulfil their mission
What if changing the world was as easy as popping to the shops?
Social enterprises are businesses created to do good. They come in many forms, from coffee shops to law firms, selling a wide range of products and services. Each one exists to help solve a problem in our community.
That’s why the Queensland Social Enterprise Council (QSEC) has welcomed funding support from the Queensland State Government to undertake an awareness raising and promotion campaign to support Queensland social enterprises at this critical time.
To hear the social enterprise stories of impact, get involved and find out more, visit www.postivetransaction.com.au today.
COVID-19 and your social enterprise
The impacts of the coronavirus (COVID-19) are undoubtedly being felt across the globe by individuals, organisations and businesses. As social enterprises, we are not only preparing our businesses for the anticipated additional pressures on staffing and operations due to the virus but preparing the communities in which we operate.
Social enterprises by nature are deeply connected to their communities. We work to solve some of society’s most intractable issues, and many of us work side-by-side with some of the nation’s most vulnerable and isolated people.
For a full run down of what’s happening this this space, visit HERE
Objectives and Aims
The Queensland Social Enterprise Council exists in order to:
- Promote social enterprise
- Provide a forum for discussion between social enterprises
- Carry out research into social enterprise
- Publish and speak on social enterprise
- Encourage the development of mechanisms such as social procurement and social enterprises funding for the advancement of social enterprise
- Advocate with governments, private sector and the charitable sector to facilitate development of social enterprise
- Liaise with other bodies interested in the development of social enterprise
- The contribution of enterprising solutions to challenging social problems
- Collaboration with business, government and local communities
- A judicious use of resources levered for maximum social impact
- Engage a wide group of stakeholders in governance and decision-making
QSEC undertakes a range of social enterprise projects annually.
Check out our projects page for more.
Documents and resources for the benefit of the social enterprise sector in Queensland and for QSEC members.
- Funding opportunities
- Support networks
- Social procurement
- and more